Historical Association of Central Louisiana Logo
         

 

Home

Bennett Store and Bennett House

Conerly
House

Hill-Smith
House

Le
Palmoire

Events

Newsletters

 

 

 

 

Bennett House undergoing restoration 2007

 

Bennett House

Currently Undergoing Restoration in 2007

In 1836 Eza Bennett took over what became known at Bennett's Store at Eldred's Bend in Bayou Boeuf, north of Bunkie, in Central Louisiana. Ezra Bennett married the daughter of Randal Eldred and later purchased his father-in-law's 200-acre plantation. The area became known as Bennettville. The original store, built in 1817, was destroyed by fire and rebuilt after the Civil War.

Eza Bennett built Bennett House in 1852 and his son George Bennett, succeed his father in running Bennett Store.

 

The Historical Association of Central Louisiana was able to arrange the donation of the house and the store to their organization. A buyer was later found and the house and the store have been moved to Englewood Planatation, south of Alexandria, Louisiana, where they are currently undergoing restoration.

 

Compared to Bennett House in a 1880's Family Photograph

Bennett Children 1880s  
   

Bennett House in Disrepair in 1979